A number of universities are now offering PhD degrees and that could be quite fetching for a number of people who are aspiring to continue their studies. College education online is also taking precedence pioneering similar degrees. However, is it really sustainable to have college education online trying to churn out PhD graduates? A reasonable person could argue that it perhaps not the best idea.
Then come online universities and they one-up the game of college education online, but even if they are somewhat better, online universities are still not a distinguished research university offering all the facilities needed to carry out a state-of-the-art PhD research.
Now, people who plump for both online universities and college education online would argue that the costs of traditional education have gone so far up that it may be more prudent to just work instead of committing to a lifetime of debt. We tend to agree about this one, but there are easy ways to circumnavigate the onerous burden of debt.
Consider the scholarships up for grabs by the University of Groningen in Netherlands. The GELIFES PhD scholarship is quite the nifty solutions to help you alleviate the costs of your PhD research in the Netherlands.
- The university allows for four-year full-time positions with a pension scheme and 8% vacation allowance per year
- The working conditions toe the line of set legislation in the country
- Regional housing is provided by the Royal NIOZ
- Overall there are two scholarships up for grabs.
Are you eligible?
- To be deemed a proper candidate, you need to be able to answer several research questions. You are supposed to be testing behavioral strategies
- You will need to be a Master in Biology and show interest in behavioral ecology
- Your supervisor will be DrAllertBijleveld and Prof TheunisPiersma both from Royal NIOZ. More members will join in your guiding and mentoring
- You will need good English oral and written skills
Application is fairly simple. You need a cover letter in which you will introduce yourself. You will need to make a 500-word proposal related to the topic of your research. A sample of academic writing such as MA thesis will be needed. In addition, two contact details of two academic referrals would be requested.
Application deadline is set for 5 November 2017. Apply here.